The Importance of Proper Blanket Storage
Every home has them – cozy, soft blankets that provide warmth during chilly nights. But as the seasons change, and we no longer need these fluffy allies, we often wonder, how do we store them efficiently without compromising their quality? Proper blanket storage not only helps in maximizing space but also ensures that your blankets remain fresh and ready to use.
Efficient Ways to Store Blankets
- Vacuum Sealed Bags: A true space-saver, vacuum-sealed bags compress your blankets, removing all the air and significantly reducing their size. This method protects them from moisture, pests, and dust. When you’re ready to use them again, they’ll spring back to life, fresh as ever.
- Under-the-bed Storage Boxes: Don’t let the space under your bed go to waste. Purchase some flat storage boxes designed to fit under beds. They’re perfect for storing blankets and are easily accessible.
- Storage Ottomans: Not only are they stylish and serve as additional seating or footrests, but storage ottomans also offer a secret compartment perfect for your blankets. It’s functional decor at its finest.
Protecting Your Blankets from Moths and Bugs
- Cedar Blocks or Sachets: Cedar naturally repels moths and keeps your blankets smelling fresh. Place a few cedar blocks or sachets in your storage container or closet.
- Lavender Sachets: Like cedar, moths dislike the smell of lavender. Moreover, lavender leaves a pleasant scent on your blankets.
- Regularly Clean Your Storage Area: Ensure that the space where you’re storing blankets is clean. Vacuum and wipe down areas frequently to deter pests.
Ensuring Your Blankets Remain Fresh
- Line Storage Areas with Cotton: Synthetic materials can trap moisture, leading to mold and mildew. Line your storage containers or shelves with cotton sheets to allow your blankets to breathe.
- Avoid Plastic Containers: Plastic doesn’t breathe, which can lead to moisture buildup. Opt for breathable fabric storage bags or boxes.
- Refresh with Fabric Spray: Before storing, give your blankets a light spritz with a fabric refresher. This ensures they’ll smell fresh when you retrieve them.
Rotating and Caring for Your Blankets
- Rotate Regularly: If you have multiple blankets, rotate their usage. This ensures even wear and tear.
- Wash Before Storage: Always clean blankets before storing. Stains and spills can set over time and attract pests.
- Fold Neatly: Folding your blankets neatly and uniformly not only looks better but also maximizes storage space.
Considerations for Special Blankets
- Heirloom or Antique Blankets: These need special care. Consider storing them in a climate-controlled environment. Avoid attics or basements where temperatures can fluctuate.
- Weighted Blankets: Due to their weight, hanging them can lead to stretching. Fold and store them flat to maintain their shape.
Storing blankets might seem like a mundane task, but with the right techniques, it can lead to efficient space utilization and prolong the life of your blankets. Implementing the tips and hacks we’ve shared ensures your blankets remain fresh, free from pests, and ready to wrap you in warmth when needed.